Yesterday I ran four miles on my treadmill (in about 43 minutes) for the first time in at least five years. Though I am still not at the pace I'd prefer, it felt really good, and I ended up with more energy than when I'd started.
I realized, as I huffed and puffed to my favorite play list, that I'm running away from some things:
- Overly stuffed fat cells
- Increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and early death
- Depression and anxiety symptoms
- Sore feet that carried too much weight, and rusty joints
- Missed physical opportunities with my children
- Missed physical opportunities with my husband ;)
- The shame that follows a binge
- The embarrassment the comes with being heavy
- The sadness that comes with feeling like a failure
I'm sure I could add to this list, and perhaps I will, as I think of more. But to focus on the positive side, here's what I'm running toward:
- The healthiest and longest life that God is willing to give me
- Special memories made in all sorts of locations, during all kinds of activities with my precious family and friends
- Long days at the pool, in a SWIMSUIT, rather than in pants
- Happy times shopping for clothes that look nice and fit me well
- A good example set for my girls
- A body that is capable of running and playing and lifting things
- Days that don't revolve around food and its over-consumption
Again, I'm sure this list will grow as I think of more benefits that come with the direction I'm running.
How about you? Are you running away from something and/or toward something else?