Ticker

Friday, June 25, 2010

Fruit Like Candy


I really hate some things about summer: the heat, humidity, mosquitoes, Japanese Beetles, monstrous weeds, etc.


But then there's the fruit. The sweet, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth ripe fruits that only come this time of year. I'm certain eating healthfully is much easier in summer than any other season.


First, your bathing suit is quick to remind you if you're backsliding. Second, it's almost too hot to want to be too full. And then there's the amazing selection of fresh produce to enjoy instead of munching on less healthy snacks.


My lunch today is pictured. That's a heap of plain Greek yogurt on top of a whole peach, and several scoops of watermelon. Yummy. And I am crazy full now. I may have overdone the watermelon scooping a tad.


On a less healthy note, I found an ice cream brand I've been looking for lately. Clemmy's makes a full-fat sugar-free ice cream that's not made with any artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors. I believe they're using sugar alcohols for most of the sweetness.


I bought a little container of chocolate and one of vanilla. It'll take 200 calories from my daily budget for one little half of a cup, so I won't be eating this often! I give my girls one scoop of ice cream each week, and I think I can go with that schedule too. I took a little spoonful, and it was amazing...It's a good thing I'm not an ice cream fanatic. On the downside, the creaminess comes from cow fat, and I try to limit how much of that I eat. I prefer the coconut milk ice creams, because I believe that fat is healthier...but I have yet to find our favorite kind made with anything other than agave syrup, which I've come to find is not much better than sugar or corn syrup :(


2 comments:

  1. Ahhh those are the worst things about summer for me too! I have to throw in humidity though. I got my first mosquito bite of the season yesterday walking into the office. :( Darn bug bites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that ice cream sounds fab! i bought some fat-free, sugar-free ice cream a while back which was made with the chemicals, and you can imagine. i recently got into buying fat-free (but not sugar free) chocolate ice cream. it does the job! i like frozen yogurt, too.

    and i love your ideas on calorie budgeting!

    ReplyDelete