Ticker

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What Do You Do With 8 Pounds of Blueberries?



You make Blueberry Crisp!! (Lots of it)

You are looking at a 9x13 dish that is nearly empty after I took another serving after this photo was snapped.

But there is redemption for the four of us who are responsible for downing nearly the entire batch! It was healthy :)

Here's my recipe, if you want to give it a whirl:

  • 2 pound box of blueberries (hubby brought home 4 of these boxes from a youth group fundraiser at work!) or 6 cups-worth of fruit
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • pinch salt
  • 4 tsp Purevia or Truvia

Mix all of that together (I did it right in the dish).

  • 1/2 cup Fava and Garbanzo Flour (hubby is gluten-free)
  • 1 cup rolled old fashioned oats (some GF people are sensitive to oats, but hubby is not)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 3 hand fulls of chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 stick of grass-fed organic butter
  • 1/3 cup maltitol syrup

I am guessing on the amount of maltitol syrup I put in. I just poured directly into the mixer as it was going, and I think I used that amount. I tasted a bit of the topping, and it was just a tad sweet. I also probably used more than 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. We love cinnamon, and it's good for blood sugar control, so I'm generous on everything with that! Finally, I think chopped pecans would taste better than the walnuts, but I don't have any of those in the house right now.

Mix the topping ingredients together until crumbly, and then spoon it onto the berries. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes (berries are bubbly). This makes a dessert that is not that sweet. You can really taste the berries because they're not overwhelmed by gobs of sugar.

One of my girls suffered through eating the berries because she wanted the 'crisp' part. She's not big on cooked fruit. The other daughter is responsible for eating about half of the entire pan. (She's stick thin, and ate a good dinner, so I let her get another huge helping).

I guesstimated about 280 calories for a 3/4 cup serving. I've had three. Ouch.

But I ran 3 miles today, so I certainly earned at least one of those servings :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds and looks amazing! I have a couple of kids who love blueberries and some who don't. Good job on the 3 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment earlier! And your right.....the first 60 should be a springboard for the next 60! By the way.....losing weight and looking at the pic of your Blueberry Crisp, just dont go hand in hand! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMmmm...blueberries.... Your crisp looks so delicious, I want to lick that pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! I could eat the whole thing, but I'm the opposite of your daughter. I want the insides and not the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem with 8 pounds of blueberries is that if I had them I'd be tempted to see how many pounds of blueberries I could eat.

    At Foolsfitness we are right on caloric tract... if we were 30 years older!- Alan

    ReplyDelete